Wednesday, January 7, 2009

After All The Hoo-Ha...

Call me a cheap skate! Even thou I am not one who will resort to wearing fakes but I find it extremely hard to part with (approximately) S$2800 for a real Caboche Lamp. A couple of Lighting Shops in Singapore are carrying the replica of the original Caboche Lamp. Lush is one...selling at approximately S$800-S$1200. Light Crafts is the other which I aimed to get it from at S$463.85. When I made a trip down last week to get the lamp, I was told by Light Crafts that they have sold-out the lights and the next shipment will only be in a month or two. When I have my eyes set on something, it's really hard to change that decision or choice.

As today was my first day of work in 2009, I did not finish work till about 8pm. Since SN has class to attend, I decided to swing by to Balestier to recee the lights. The objectives was #1 - to find the 'Caboche' Lamp in another light shop and #2 - to find the next best alternative. I clocked no luck at Lights Vault, so I decided to cross over the road to recee Palace Lights. Guess what? I found the 'Caboche' Lamp selling at a even cheaper price...$280 to be exact. Wala! The rest of the evening, I was basking in joy. A joy of finally getting one at such a ahem...low price. SN gave me a thumbs-up for the savings of course. wahaha. You reckon we can get away with this replica amongst our original Kartell collections? :p

Below are some facts on the Original Caboche for those who are interested to know more.

Product Information: Suspension lamp composed by transparent globes made of polymethylmetacrylate. A shade in white matte finish glass offers direct upward and downward light projection and diffusion throughout the space.

Dimensions: 19.75" D X 7.8" H 78.75" maximum overall height, can be field cut.
Uses 1 X 150W 120V T3 RSC (118mm) linear halogen lamp

About the designers:
(1) Born in Orviedo (Spain), Patricia Urquiola lives and works in Milan. She studied in Madrid and she graduated from the Politecnico di Milano in 1989 with Achille Castiglioni as a tutor. From 1990 to 2000 she collaborated with De Padova and Lissoni Associati. In 2001 she started her own design studio. She now works for Alessi, B&B, Bart, Bosa, De Vecchi, Fasem, MDF, Molteni, Moroso, San Lorenzo and for Knoll, Sag 80, Somma, R. Torreta.

(2) Eliana Gerotto was born in Venice and began her career in Milan as a graphic designer. She received her diploma in Communication Techniques at Fondazione Davide Campari in Milano. She works in various fields: graphics for "Elle" magazine in Paris and for Biennale di Venezia. She collaborates with: Benetton, Molteni&C, ArchLinea, Vernini. She designs dressing for shows and fairs in Paris, Berlin, Venice and Ferrara. As an interior decorator she has designed houses, offices, restaurants, gyms, hotels and shops.



1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hello , i´m from portugal and i´m trying to buy a cabache lamp , were did you find that amazing price ?

Tank´s.